- “Where Main Street Meets the Mountains.”
- View the 58 story smokestack, the tallest in the country.
- An outdoor enthusiasts paradise whether it be summer of winter, there is something for everyone!
- Anaconda, an old industrial hub full of rich history and modern charm.
Anaconda Montana is a cute town with a huge heart. Reinventing itself after the Anaconda Copper Mining Company closed it's doors in 1980, Anaconda is now the place to be for wilderness recreation. Both summer and winter offer activities the whole family will enjoy.
Anaconda is located just off I-90 in southwestern Montana, 20 miles west of Butte and 95 miles east of Missoula.
Whether you are looking for some country charm at a B&B or your looking to rough it in a rental cabin, Anaconda has many options for accommodations.
Dining options leave a bit to be desired, but what they lack in variety they make up for with good home cooking and hospitality.
- Step out for some hiking in the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness Area.
- Stop by Georgetown or Echo Lake for a day of fishing and boating.
- Practice your turns at Discovery Basin Ski Area. It provides a great day of skiing for beginners or a steep drop off the backside for those looking for an adrenaline rush.
- For wildlife viewing the Mount Haggin Wildlife Management Area provides a promising view of the sizeable herd of Elk that live in the high mountain valley.
- Practice your golf swing at one of the three golf courses in the area.
- If you tire from all the hiking and fishing or even golfing, take in the wilderness with a majestic drive along the Pintler Scenic Route.
- Anaconda Montana may be a small town but you won't lack for things to do.
- Visit the Washoe Theater, built in 1931, and one of the best preserved of its type in the country.
- Hop on the vintage 1936 bus tour or try a walking tour through the cities three National Historic Districts.
- Don't miss the recently opened Copper Chute, a super slide, found at the Charlotte Yeoman Martin Complex.
- Or for glimpse into the past visit the Southern Cross Ghost town.
- On your way back to Anaconda stop in at the Fairmont Hot Springs for a relaxing dip in the natural hot springs.
Heading from Missoula to Anaconda couldn't be easier. Head out of Missoula on I-90 east, toward Butte. After about 90 miles the Anaconda smoke stack begins to make an appearance on the horizon. From I-90 east take exit 201 toward Warm Springs. Turn right toward I-90 Frontage Road, then take the first left onto I-90 Frontage Road. Turn right on MT-48 south, continue on this for 6 miles. Take a right on MT-1 south and a left on Cottonwood St. This will lead to to the heart of downtown Anaconda.