- Grab a thermos of hot cocoa and spend the day gliding across the ice.
- Attend a figure skating clinic or join a hockey league, available through the Glacier Ice Rink.
- Make sure the ice is solid before venturing out on frozen lakes and ponds.
When the temperatures drop, ponds begin to freeze, which means it is time for some ice skating. Pack a thermos of hot coca, grab your skates and enjoy a day gliding across the ice. The snow covered trees and mountains are an added perk to this fantastic outing.
Skating on ponds isn't your only option, Missoula ice skating also includes an indoor rink that is perfect for those colder days. Kids and adults alike will enjoy skating hand in hand and laughing over attempts at a triple lutz that may leave you kissing the ice instead of spiraling through the air.
Where to go Ice Skating in Missoula
Before venturing out onto a lake or pond, always make sure that the water is adequately frozen all the way through.
Glacier Ice Rink
Offering both an indoor and outdoor rink, Glacier Ice Rink is the premier ice skating venue in Missoula. Ice time is split between hockey, ice skating, and free skating.
- Where: Located within the Western Montana Fairgrounds at 1101 South Ave West, the corner Russell and South Ave West.
- When: Public free skate times vary according to the hockey and figure skating schedules, so call ahead for open skate times, 406-728-0316.
- Admission: $6 for adults and $4 for kids. Bargain Mondays cost $3.
- Skate Rental: $3
Frenchtown Pond State Park
Little compares to the beauty of ice skating on an open pond in the middle of a snow covered wilderness. Frenchtown Pond is easy to access and consistently freezes enough for ice skating.
- Where: From Missoula, take I-90 west to the Frenchtown exit. The lake is one mile up the frontage road at 3201 Spurgin Road.
- When: Winter hours are from 6am to 7pm, October 1st thru April 30th
- Admission: $6.00 per car for non-residents
Darby Ice Skating Rink
Sometimes it is nice to get out of town. Load up the family and head south to Darby for a day of ice skating. When the cold starts to hit your bones, huddle around the burn barrel and enjoy a cup of steaming hot cocoa.
- Where: From Missoula, take Hwy 93 south to Darby. The rink is located to the west of the tennis courts, behind the People's Market.
- When: When the temperature drops below 32º F, the rink is open on Saturdays from 3pm to 5pm.
- Skate Rental: No rentals are available on sight.