- The Fort Missoula Museum is located in Bldg. 322 at Fort Missoula (5 miles south of I-90 in Missoula, off US-93 S).
- Take a self-guided tour of the museum and grounds featuring many historic buildings.
- Open year-round.
- Museum prices: $2/student, $3/senior, $4/adult, $10 family.
- No fee to walk around the grounds.
Fort Missoula was established in Missoula County during the 1870s at the request of county settlers; many felt unprotected in such an isolated western area. Shortly after its construction, fort soldiers were involved in the attempted detainment of Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce tribe. Other incidents that stand out in the fort’s history include the testing of “new-fangled bicycles” by the 25th Bicycle Corps and its time as an alien detention center.
Visitors to the Fort Missoula Museum can learn more about the fort’s unique history as well as the heritage and culture of Missoula County. Paintings, photographs, artifacts and exhibits are located throughout the grounds. Walk through the old schoolhouse, depot, and church. Climb the lookout, see homesteader cabins, and spend a moment in the iris garden.
Annual events held at Fort Missoula include 4th of July celebrations, Forestry Day competitions, lectures, and more.
Fort Missoula is located in southwest Missoula, Montana.
The Historical Museum of Fort Missoula is located in Bldg. 322.
To reach Fort Missoula from I-90, take exit 101 for Reserve St/US-93 S towards Hamilton. Travel south on Reserve St/US-93 for 4.5 miles and then turn right onto South Ave W. For the museum, take the 2nd left onto Guardsman Lane and then a slight right at Fort Missoula Rd. Museum is on the right.
Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
Building 322, Fort Missoula
Missoula, MT 59804-7207
Hours/SeasonLabor Day Weekend – Memorial Day Weekend
- 12 pm – 5 pm, Tuesday - Sunday
- Closed Monday
- 10 am – 5 pm, Monday – Saturday
- 12 pm – 5 pm on Sunday
*Closed on all major holidays except Memorial Day, Labor Day and July 4th.
- Free for children under 6 and Members of the Friends of the Historical Museum.
- For tour price info, call: (406) 728 - 3476
*Grounds are always open and free.
Help support the museum by becoming a Friend of The Historical Museum, make a donation, or consider volunteering as a museum tour guide, program leader, or other positions. Call 406.728.3476 for more information on you can help.